As promised in my last blog, here is a basic pickled onion recipe.
1kg small pickling onions, peeled
1Lt white vinegar
10 black peppercorns
10 small red chillies
5 bay leaves
200g white sugar
- Place the onions and salt in a bowl and stir until onions are thoroughly coated.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Wash the salt off the onions and dry with paper towel.
- In a saucepan, heat the vinegar, spices and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved, no need to boil.
- Tightly pack sterilized jars to the top with onions and pour over the vinegar and spice mixture until jars are almost full. Seal with sterilized lids and allow to cool.
- Let the pickles stand for 3-4 weeks before opening.
Note: The longer the onions sit with the salt, the softer they get. You can use whatever spices you prefer, such as juniper berries or mustard seeds. Brown vinegar and brown sugar can also be used.